For more than 20 years I’ve been passionate about nutrition and healthy living. The discovery of our son’s dairy allergy in 1991 marked the beginning of my investigation into the effect food has on our lives. I researched and learned about dairy-free ingredients, foods, shopping, and cooking. Back then, most supermarkets did not sell soy milk, rice milk or nut milks. I found myself at Whole Foods (called Fresh Fields then) every other day looking for items to create dairy-free versions of kid-friendly foods like mac-and-cheese, pizza, and cupcakes. My love for nutritious foods grew as I learned about the negative effects of MSG, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup, and trans fats.
In 2004 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, an intolerance to gluten. Again, I threw myself into research, but this time it was all about finding ways to incorporate healthy foods into meals that contained no dairy or gluten. I’ve always loved experimenting and offering nutritious foods to my family and friends, in addition to using the art of Feng Shui to nourish our homes and lives.
Figs & Function was created in 2011 to inspire others to live a healthier lifestyle through nutritious foods, a calm mind, and an organized environment.
- Holistic Health Coach, accredited by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP), and a graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition by The State University of New York – Purchase College, 2011
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program, Myrna Brind Center for Integrative Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, 2011
- Authored and published, “Not Another Cookbook, Your Guide to Eating Well Every Meal” 2003
- Level 2 Reiki Practitioner, Institute for Holistic Studies, 1997-1998
- Certified Yoga Instructor, AAAI, 1996