This recipe originally came from Body + Soul Magazine, which is now called, Whole Living Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups lentils, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
- ⅔ cup low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- 1 ½ pounds spaghetti or linguini (wheat or gluten-free pasta)
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and thyme; cook, stirring, until lentils are coated, about 2 minutes.
- Break up tomatoes using hands or a spoon and then add along with puree.
- Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and starting to break down, about 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- If eating right away, stir in yogurt.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions; drain.
- Toss with sauce and top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
*You can make this recipe dairy-free by eliminating the yogurt and Parmesan cheese. *Feel free to substitute any pasta or grain, or just eat it as is over steamed vegetables. That would be yummy and really healthy! *You can also freeze this sauce; just don’t add the yogurt before you freeze it.