Chocolate Cream Pie
The antioxidant-loaded dark chocolate in this recipe, along with almond flour rich in omega fatty acids as well as protein, makes this pie a winner. It’s also egg-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. This recipe comes from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, by Elana Amsterdam.
- For the Pie Crust:
- 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Pie Filling:
- 28 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped dark chocolate (73% cacao)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the pie crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Press the dough into a 9½-inch or deep dish pie pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before filling.
- To make the pie filling:
- Reserve ¼ cup of the coconut milk. In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining coconut milk and the salt to a boil; whisk constantly for 1 minute, then decrease to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot powder in the reserved coconut milk, stirring to make a paste. Raise the heat under the saucepan to high, and add the arrowroot paste to the saucepan, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in agave nectar and vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the chocolate to the coconut-arrowroot mixture, stirring vigorously until it is completely melted. Let the filling cool, and then pour the mixture into the crust. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to set, and then serve.