Mock Chopped Liver
You'll never miss the liver!
- 6 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives for garnish, (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute until caramelized and dark brown. This could take about 20 minutes or more.
- Remove onions to a plate to cool.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons of oil and heat again over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until they soften and release their juices.
- Continue to cook mushrooms until they are very brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove mushrooms to a plate to cool.
- In a food processor or blender add the onions, mushrooms, hard boiled eggs, walnuts, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse a few times, and then scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue pulsing and scraping the bowl down until the mixture is well blended.
- Blend until there are no walnut pieces visible.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate (actually better) for a few hours or overnight.
- Serve with matzo and raw veggies.